Print

The Visitation

 

The convent of the Visitation of Mans was built in 1822 as a replacement for the one destroyed by the Revolution. It numbered between fifty and sixty religious. Mother Thérèse de Gonzague Freslon was superior and was succeeded by Mother Marie de Chantal Fleuriot.

The chaplain was Father Boulangé, personal friend of dom Guéranger who loved to visit him and entrust his work of monastic restoration to the miraculous Virgin in the chapel.

The boarding school, which would be closed in 1878, never had more than fifty students. Among the school mistresses should be mentioned Sister Marie Aloysia Vallée, who the Martin girls later called Aunt Aloysia.

visitation-entreeLT visitation-preauLT visitation-chapelleLT visitation-jardinLT visitation-choeurLT
the entrance door
to the Visitation 
the inner courtyard
the chapel - where the Martins
prayed after their wedding
view of the gardens
bench for the boarding school
students in the sisters’ choir

 Click on each photo to enlarge it.

Back to the schooling of the girls.